IoT refers to the network of physical objects that interconnect via sensors, software, and other technologies for the purpose of exchanging data with other devices and systems over the www. Among these devices are household objects, industrial tools. There are already several billion devices interconnected today and these numbers rise by the minute.
Importance of IoT
Embedding devices from households to cars and industrial machinery enhances communication between people, processes and things.
Through low-cost computing, the cloud, big data, analytics, and mobile technologies, physical things can share and collect data with little human intervention. Digital systems can record, monitor, and adjust each interaction between connected things.
Technologies WhereIoT Applies
- Access to low-cost, low-power sensor technology
- Cloud computing platforms
- Machine learning and analytics
- Conversational artificial intelligence and Advance digital personal assistants such as Alexa or Siri
Industrial IoT concept
Industrial IoT targets industrial settings, with respect to instrumentation and control of sensors and devices involving cloud technologies. With the emergence of cloud and allied technologies (such as analytics and machine learning), industries can achieve a new automation layer. Below are some common uses for IIoT:
- Smart manufacturing
- Preventive and predictive maintenance
- Smart power grids
- Smart cities
- Smart digital supply chains, logistics
Companies are capitalizing and bring business value by:
- Deriving data-driven from IoT data to help better manage the business
- Increasing productivity and efficiency of business operations
- Creating new business models and revenue streams
- Easily and seamlessly connecting the physical business world to the digital world to drive quick time to value
Business-Ready, SaaS IoT Applications
IoT applications are prebuilt software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications that can analyze and present captured IoT sensor data to business users via dashboards
Popular IoT Applications include:
- Create new efficiencies in manufacturing through machine monitoring
- Monitor human health analytics and environmental conditions
- Use of IoT to increase efficiency and safety in fleet management (connecting cars)
- Enable business process changes such as monitoring the health of remote machines that trigger service calls for preventive maintenance.